Thursday, July 10, 2008

Grateful

So, today was Adam's 8th birthday.

And Cory lost his job today.

I'm striving to keep this in perspective, to quiet the panic that's gnawing at the corner of me. Cory and I have been through worse, much worse, before. We can do this. We will do this. We have savings, we have family who will help us. We have a pantry full of groceries, we have two working cars, we have a comfortable (though modest) home, we are healthy, as are our wonderful, beautiful children.

Thank You, God, for our "rich people" problems. Thank You for the fortune of our birth - that we live here, in a country with resources, so we can pick ourselves back up, dust off, and get back on our feet. We don't live in a war zone, we're not in danger of going hungry, and we're all together, under one roof. There are resources out there to help us.

I'm thankful for the extra time we'll get to spend together as a family. I'm grateful for the privilege of being a mother for eight years. We're lucky to have all these wonderful people in our lives: friends and family who've offered help - job leads, dinner, and an ear to listen. And I'm so relieved that we have a small "stash" of savings, so that we're not desperate (yet).

I'm thankful. I don't want to whine, and I don't want to be bitter. I choose to be grateful.

No comments: